Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Do you have what it takes to get the job done?

Today I was asked to join a meeting in progress. Around the table were six people, each very different. Different by temperament, different by role and authority, different in accountability. Every one was concerned about a common purpose. There was a chair for the meeting and participants had clearly defined tasks relating to this common purpose. But something was odd.

It soon became clear that responsibilities overlapped and that lines of authority were a little blurry. The only thing that was truly clear was the budget constraints that participants had to live within. Well, I guess one out of three ain't bad.

I may as well start this blog with a concept that is, for me, foundational. Always be clear about means, authority and responsibility. I am sure that I have heard this from some expert or source, or at least from someone more experience than I, but I can’t tell you who. This concept has become one of my ten commandments in leadership and teamwork.

Means (noun) - how a result is obtained or an end is achieved; an instrumentality for accomplishing some end. (means, agency, way)

Means specifically refers to the resources (people, talent, finances, time) necessary to achieve the desired outcome. If I ask "do you have the means to get the job done" I am NOT asking about authority or responsibility, I want to find out if you have the necessary resources.

Authority (noun) - the power or right to give or make decisions and delegate responsibility.

Authority refers to the source of permission; the ability to make a decision independent of the power to enforce a decision. Authority need not be consistent or rational (though it really, really helps), it only needs to be accepted as a source of permission or truth. If I ask, "Do you have the authority to make this decision?" I am not asking about means or responsibility, I want to find out if the buck stops with you. You may find that you have delegated authority. That’s just fine, provided that it is clearly understood by every one. I call this kind of authority "initiative". The buck ultimately stops with someone else, but they have granted enough authority to you that you have the ability to make all of the necessary decisions without going back to them to get more authority.

Responsibility (noun) - The idea is that one is entrusted with achieving or maintaining an assigned duty, charge, or outcome; an obligation to perform assigned activities. Responsibility is distinct from accountability.

A supervisor can assign responsibility but cannot give away his or her accountability: the supervisor is ultimately responsible. So, if I ask "are you responsible for this?" I am not asking if you are the source of authority, or if you have the resources to do the job. I want to know if the initiative for getting the work done is yours.

Whenever I am volunteering, when I accept a new job, whenever I am part of a team or committee or board, whenever I start something new I make it my first order of business to clarify authority, responsibility and means. This is something I find out, not just for my own curiosity or confidence, I find this information out so I can function with clarity in all of my roles and relationships. So, do you have what it takes?

Finally, I am very cautious about venturing into territory where any one of authority, responsibility, or means, are absent or being withheld. Usually I have found these conditions lead to frustration and even failure. And as a leader I make it a priority to help those on my team understand their authority, responsibility and means. I owe it to them.

So, if you come across the person or source that gave me this advice please let me know. I owe them a debt of gratitude and would love to give them credit where credit is due.

No comments: