Thursday, March 09, 2006

Motivated by Starbucks (or What Motivates Younger Leaders)

What motivates you? The great Olympian Eric Liddell (remember the 80’s movie chariots of fire?) is quoted as answering the question “what motivates you to run” with these words, “When I run I feel the Lords pleasure”

In How I Answer The Big Question I identify how many younger leaders are NOT motivated. So what does motivate?

Most of us hate being stereotyped and categorized. We don’t want to be lumped in with everyone else (even if they are just like me). We want to be understood as unique individuals. The result is we are motivated by people who value us, and understand our uniqueness. That said, we don’t want to be isolated or atomized, but want to be recognized as part of a community)

While we often hate to admit it we are also a generation with a craving for relationship (ever notice how Starbucks is trying to sell community and relationship). Someone noted that when the “first wave of latchkey kids to hit the work force. They are homesick for the home they never had (due to both parents working).” Their focus on relationships and strong sense of community

Training is one of the best motivators. In an information age we have developed a tremendous capacity to process lots of information and concentrate on multiple tasks. Of course the flip side is especially true of leaders, we get bored easily. The truth is much of life is an exercise in the routine and we must find greater purpose in our life and work than being constantly stimulated

I for one am motivated by TEAM. I hate committees (and people who call committees teams annoy me) and spinning my wheels talking about something for the third or fourth time (committee meetings are the worst). Lets dig in, do the work, and move on.

Younger leaders thrive on Feedback and Recognition. While it may be un satisfied hunger for affirmation from childhood, it is more likely a way life, constantly testing their ideas and the quality of their work so they can tweak it and improve it. This feed back loop needs to be quick and the celebration of growth needs to be frequent.

At work I have what I call my “Starbucks budget line” With this budget line I take people out to coach someone, to debrief events, to celebrate achievements, and to just spend time building relationship. I often give a Starbucks gift card to express appreciation or recognize accomplishment. So while it might sound trite or trendy I hope you understand that when I say I am motivated by Starbucks you realize that I am not talking about the coffee.

No comments: